Grace Beside Me, a 13-part television series for children and families shot in the Scenic Rim, had an estimated $458,000 impact on the region.
The series was launched at The Centre Beaudesert in February, ahead of its premiere on NITV Channel 34 and SBS On-Demand. It will later air on the Disney Channel.
Grace Beside Me features 36 Scenic Rim locations, captured during the 11-week shoot, which had a direct economic impact of about $458,000.
The 25-strong cast featured five Scenic Rim locals and another five professional development opportunities were created for locals.
The 99-person crew featured 25 Scenic Rim residents and 105 of the 125 extras were also from the region.
Grace Beside Me tells the story of Fuzzy Mac, an indigenous girl who wants to be an ordinary teenager.
Producers Lois Randall and Dena Curtis say they selected Beaudesert and the Scenic Rim as the location because it had the right look and a vibrant local indigenous community.
They say the region’s proximity to Gold Coast and Brisbane airports was also appealing, as was the volume of accommodation options, including the Ramada Kooralbyn Resort.
“We established production offices and three edit suites in offices in Telemon Street and also rented out a large industrial warehouse (Thiedke Road) for art department, and the nearby Killara Homestead for costume department,” Ms Randall said.
“The cast and crew were accommodated in 18 rental houses as well as every motel in Beaudesert and the Ramada at Kooralbyn.”
Grace Beside Me is the latest in a long line of films, TV series, and commercials to be shot in the Scenic Rim.
Grace Beside Me Production Snapshot:
- 9 weeks pre-production and 11-week shoot in the Scenic Rim in 2017
- 13 x half-hour episodes produced
- Estimated direct economic impact $458,000.
- 25 of the cast were Queenslanders, with two supporting cast and three guest cast drawn from the Scenic Rim Region.
- 105 of the 152 Extras were from the Scenic Rim.
- 5 professional development opportunities were created for Scenic Rim locals
- 12 of the 99 crew employed were from the Scenic Rim.
- All 36 locations used throughout production are within the Scenic Rim.