A levy on waste going to landfill will begin on 1 July 2019.
This is part of a new Queensland Government waste strategy aimed at creating a future where waste is avoided, reused and recycled to the greatest possible extent.
The Queensland Government is encouraging business and industry to reduce, reuse and recycle more, only sending waste that cannot be recovered to landfill.
5 quick steps to better waste management
1. Measure your waste
It is easier to manage and track your improvement on something that is measured. Start by recording the types and quantities of waste materials generated within your business.
This could just be a quick visual assessment and estimation of amount and types of waste per week. As you change how you manage your waste, you can compare and see what difference your changes make to the amount of waste disposed to landfill.
To reduce the amount of waste going to landfill, consider:
- can waste be avoided or reduced by the way you procure goods and services or by changing your business operations?
- does another local business have a use for the waste materials produced by your business?
- what materials can be targeted for recycling?
Find out what options are available locally for business recycling.
4. Collection services
It is a good idea to find out how levy fees will be managed by your waste service provider, and find out more about your waste collection services—how it impacts your ability to recycle and what options are available to you.
5. Separating waste
It’s important to ensure that waste is correctly separated for recycling. Putting the wrong waste in contaminates the recycling. Check out the free-to-download recycling signage to help businesses communicate correct recycling and waste separation behaviours.
*source: Queensland Government
- Find more information about the Waste Levy on the Scenic Rim Regional Council website.
- To discuss your waste, contact the Scenic Rim Regional Council Waste Services Team on 07 5540 5111 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- ecoBiz – free, tailored advice on how your business can be more sustainable.
- Planet Ark Business Recycling also provides useful tips for reducing waste: